Lawmakers Demand Review of Trump’s Military Strikes Amid Controversy

U.S. lawmakers from both parties have expressed support for congressional reviews regarding military strikes against vessels suspected of drug smuggling in the Caribbean and eastern Pacific. This response follows a report from the Washington Post claiming that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth issued a verbal order during a September 2 attack that resulted in the deaths of all crew members aboard the targeted vessels.

While the accuracy of the report remains uncertain, lawmakers emphasized the seriousness of the allegations. Senator Tim Kaine, a Democrat from Virginia, stated, “This rises to the level of a war crime if it’s true.” In response to questions regarding the legality of follow-up strikes on individuals unable to defend themselves, Representative Mike Turner, a Republican from Ohio, noted that Congress lacks information about the events surrounding the attack. He acknowledged that the leadership of the Armed Services Committees in both the House and Senate is currently investigating the matter.

Concerns Over Legal Implications

Turner further articulated that if the allegations are corroborated, they would indicate a significant legal breach. “Obviously, if that occurred, that would be very serious and I agree that that would be an illegal act,” he said. Despite concerns among lawmakers regarding the attacks on vessels purportedly transporting drugs under the Trump administration, Turner clarified that the specific allegations about the September 2 incident had not been previously discussed with Congress and are now subject to an ongoing investigation.

These statements come as the administration intensifies its campaign against drug trafficking entering the United States. On Saturday, President Donald Trump declared that the airspace “above and surrounding” Venezuela should be considered closed, a statement that has drawn criticism from Venezuelan officials, including President Nicolás Maduro, who labeled it a “colonial threat” to the nation’s sovereignty.

Official Reactions and Ongoing Investigations

In light of the Washington Post report, Hegseth responded on social media platform X, asserting that the coverage was “fake news” and designed to undermine U.S. military operations. He maintained that current operations in the Caribbean comply with U.S. and international law, emphasizing that all actions adhere to the laws of armed conflict and have been vetted by military and civilian legal experts.

In a joint statement, Senator Roger Wicker of Mississippi and Senator Jack Reed of Rhode Island, the chair and top Democrat of the Senate Armed Services Committee, respectively, affirmed that the committee would conduct thorough oversight to uncover the facts surrounding these operations. Their statement underscored the committee’s commitment to accountability.

Similarly, the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, Republican Mike Rogers of Alabama, and ranking Democrat Adam Smith from Washington, issued a statement reiterating their dedication to providing rigorous oversight of the Department of Defense’s military actions in the Caribbean. They emphasized the importance of addressing reports of subsequent strikes on vessels alleged to be involved in narcotics trafficking.

Representative Don Bacon of Nebraska also weighed in on the September 2 attack, advocating for Hegseth to have an opportunity to present his perspective. “We should get to the truth. I don’t think he would be foolish enough to make this decision to say, kill everybody, kill the survivors because that’s a clear violation of the law of war,” Bacon said, expressing skepticism about the validity of the allegations.

As congressional investigations proceed, lawmakers are prioritizing transparency and accountability in military operations, particularly given the serious implications surrounding the reported actions in the Caribbean. The outcome of these inquiries may have lasting effects on U.S. military policy and its approach to drug trafficking in the region.